2017 New School Case Study

2017 Case Study
Bacchus Marsh Secondary College – Prepared by Jo Tate

This year we will be tracking the progress of a new school in the project.   Teacher Riley Beech will also be involved for the first time.  The Case Study will be updated with a series of images and reflections.

02/05/2017 – Training Day for Riley

Riley had a play with a logitec camera and learnt about the capacity of ZOOM.  We then connected up with Professor Keong Ku for a quick chat.

After that we explored the blog and discussed ideas that might suit Riley for his Year level of students and subject area.

The next steps for Riley are to connect with his partner teacher and organise a ZOOM meeting to prepare for the first lesson.  I also offered to run a lesson with his students on Korean culture so they have some interest and details around Korea before the first link up.

First Correspondence between partner teachers: 2/05/2017

Dear Riley,

First of all, I am very glad to meet you via an e-mail. And I have many questions about your school and your students. Is your school coeducational?
And if we start tele-collaboration class (?)(I’m not sure how I can call it in English so please let me know in English^^),   how many students in your school will join in this program, and what grade do we expect?
My students are the third grade in middle school(the ninth grade) and about 20 students can join the class.
Which topic will be the best for our first class? Do you have something in your mind?
And if you don’t mind, how about exchanging students’ and teachers’ pictures.
Please, feel free to ask any question(s) if you have one and respond to me as soon as possible.

Best wishes.
Ms. Yoo

Hi Ms Yoo,

Bacchus Marsh is a coeducational school. I have chosen a Seventh grade English class because they are very enthusiastic students and I have a lot of lessons with them. There are twenty four students who can be involved in classes. I think telecollaboration class is a good name for our lessons together.
I’m currently looking at the LYNCs blog to learn more as this is my first time doing this program.
I’m thinking it would be a good idea for the students and teachers to introduce themselves, their school, their area, their interests and so on.
We could ask the classes to present a Pecha Kucha to each other and then ask some questions but I am open to your suggestions.
I am happy to exchange pictures. I just need to check that all of the students are happy to share pictures.
Is this the first time you have done this program?

Thank you for your email.
I look forward to working with you.
Riley

Riley’s Reflections after his first class

With the support person absence due to ill health, Riley tackled his first lesson alone with partner Mrs. Yoo.  He used a logitec camera.

Before the lesson: There was a long email conversation and a short Zoom meeting with Ms. Yoo before my first linkup

Content of the first lesson: The content of the first lesson was an introduction between the students with classes giving true and false facts about their school and country with the audience deciding whether it was true or false.

Engagement: The students enjoyed the activities. Ms Yoo’s class’s use of the microphones proved very effective

Recommendations to other teachers planning their first link up: Have a VERY clear plan about what you will be doing with the class and give your students a rundown of the entire lesson well before the lesson happens.

Plans for the next link up:  My students want to share some cultural skills and knowledge and would like the same from the Korean students.

Riley has access to some new roving microphones and he will be trialling these before the next link up.  The benefit will be that they can be moved out amongst the students and save unnecessary movement around the room.  The sound has been shown to be much better at the Korean end using these types of microphones.

Lesson 2

Lesson Two focus was on exploring tourist attractions in Korea and in Victoria.

Issues and solutions:

The sound was still an issue from Victoria.  Riley is exploring using the two wireless microphones he has now been provided with.

Configuration of the room was also discussed post lesson. You can see two very difference configurations here.  The Korea kids are very close to the camera.  This is a good idea for a few reasons:

1. Sound quality
  2. Engagement – the students can all be seen on the screen and they know the kids in the other country can see them

Another potential configuration is the horseshoe with two chairs in front of the camera so kids can move to those if they are presenting.

Powerpoints:  Be sure that you open the powerpoint up as a slideshow so it fills the screen and we are not looking at the backend design area of the software.

Spelling:  Allow time to check the spelling on presentations that are to be shared.  Unfortunately Google Translate does not allow English to be translated into Korea in an readable format.

Finishing up: It is important to finish on a high.  Learning how to say an orderly goodbye in Korean is always at good idea. Be sure to turn off the camera before the kids start conversing at the end of the link up.